Missing critical dependency, Koji

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Aug 19 11:49:11 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 02:13:28PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
>>We don't have a duplicate of Koji we can use?  How wrong is that!
>
> We talked about it but Dennis argued passionately that
>
>   a) creating our own koji instance would be additional infrastructure
>   that we can ill-afford to maintain and
>
>   b) that creating our own koji instance would encourage sloth and
>   laziness on the part of developers who were already reluctant to learn
>   to do things the proper (Fedora) way.
>
> Anyway, in the meantime, we have raw rpmbuild, mock (which needs to be
> configured not to use Fedora's koji, but this is not so hard), our own
> buildroot (probably hidden away somewhere on weka.laptop.org), and the
> joyride dropbox system. In conclusion, we'll live.

Hmm, I don't think we're really as good as that.  Many of our core
processes are tied into koji now.  All our makefiles need to be
rewritten to use mocks '--offline' option, and that doesn't always
work.  The buildroot configuration we are using is tied to koji's
static olpc3 repo.  Work around here has certainly ground to a halt.

We should certainly transition to processes that are not as tightly
coupled; at a minimum, we should maintain a mirror of the koji build
root.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )