sugar activity updater

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Aug 15 00:27:29 EDT 2008

> As someone on the activity side of the fence, I like warnings,

Take a look at the kind of warnings I am talking about.  Some of
them say that an (unidentified) activity's directory lacks a
MANIFEST file;  others that a particular Activity bundle's MANIFEST
file has an "invalid" entry (the entries I compared *would* be valid
if they appeared in a Linux command -- it is just the "warning"
creator who doesn't like their syntax!) for a file in that
directory.  What possible good will it do to tell __me__ about those
non-compliances -- I am NOT in a position to correct them !!

More to the point, when I am doing something, I do NOT want to be
distracted with warnings that have nothing to do with what I am
focused on.  The warnings that I am complaining about showed up when
I tried with 'sugar-control-panel' to find out about any superseded
packages on my system;  and they showed up when I was applying a new
Activity with 'sugar-install-bundle'.  In both cases I had *those*
particular goals in mind -- the warnings just crowded onto my screen
(and potentially hid, in their clutter, an output message that I
*wanted* to see).

For those who want to look at warnings, there ought to be a
'sugar-inspect-bundle' tool.  Let activity install tools perform
their function *without* pointlessly distracting the user.

mikus