Project Name: olpc-bundler has been set up

Shikhar shikhar at schmizz.net
Thu Aug 14 18:15:38 EDT 2008

Eben Eliason wrote:
> <snip>
> As Ben mentioned, there are many places where tags/search are taking
> the place of more formal structures:  Gmail, Delicious, Spotlight, and
> many others among them.  The Journal has a pretty crappy interface
> into this at the moment, and naming/tagging isn't emphasized like it
> needs to be, but I think there is lots of potential here, still.  That
> doesn't mean that we couldn't have a "File" activity which reveals a
> different view on the Journal.

Agreed. Tagging can be made much better.

A lot of why the Journal seems unnavigable could be done away, for
example, if there was a top bar which listed all the tags (i.e. a tag
widget for all the tags currently known).

Clicking on a tag could display all the journal objects associated with
the tag.

Tagging could be made as simple as dragging the tag widget from the top
bar to a journal object.

You should be able to manage the tags themselves as well, i.e.
creating/removing/renaming.

Then you could even eventually add smart tags which are much like saved
searches. ('tag:<A> OR tag:<B> title:etoys')

I don't think children would shy from ontologies, if they were made more
accessible for them!

Shikhar