Project Name: olpc-bundler has been set up

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Thu Aug 14 16:22:52 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 03:03:45PM -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> Erik Garrison wrote:
> | Can you reasonably
> | expect to navigate more than 20 or 30 different entries without indexing
> | and search?
>
> Indexing and search are precisely what the Journal is supposed to provide.
> ~ In fact, there's a nice, fully functioning search box at the top.  The
> search even includes the full text of your Write entries, etc.  The
> Journal approach was sparked in part by the move, among all major desktop
> environments, toward search as the principle data retrieval mechanism
> (Google Desktop Search, WinFS, Spotlight, Beagle, etc.)
>
> Improvements to this system are needed, but all major design work on the
> Journal has been on hold for a long time, waiting for the new datastore.

I understand.

I think that well-functioning indexing and search are far better than
expecting users to manage hierarchies (a skill that is incredibly useful
but takes years of practice and observation to master).  I just believe
we should provide as many avenues to data organization and access as
possible.  Obsoleting the hierarchical filesystem crowds out a large
number.

Erik