OLPC Hosting Application: Fedora on XO

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 14 12:22:03 EDT 2008

Sebastian,

> 4. Longer description       : we're going to provide a Fedora-based
>                              : "traditional linux desktop" environment
>                              : for the XO. if we can, we'd like in allow
>                              : a parallel installation of this and sugar.

Sorry, but I don't understand the need for this repository. XFCE is
already in common use to provide a more traditional windowing desktop
for the XO. Its use is covered on the Wiki "http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Xfce".

XFCE seems to be a good fit for the XO, full featured enough to support
most traditional applications, conventional enough to suit the desire
for a non-Sugar solution, and light enough to install easily.  Gnome or
KDE seem like too much, and the other lightweight environments look a
little strange to me.

The XFCE page suffers from some poor editing, competing solutions, and a
failure of the instructions to keep up with changes on the XO, but that
would seem to be able to be handled there.

Bob