Journal activity profiling

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Aug 13 18:38:33 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 06:02:49PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM, riccardo <riccardo.lucchese at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not sure, perhaps because there are more entries in the DS so the
>>> query takes more time? Can you check?
>> I cannot reproduce it by just adding more objects to the DS. I think I
>> had `particular' objs in the journal when I saw it: ie. if I only
>> push .xo packages to the DS the journal scrolls very slowly (after
>> activities get installed)
>
>Yeah, we need to read the bundle id and version number from inside the bundle :/

Then cache them. You can maintain the cache with inotify, mtime,
regenerate on boot, etc. Git and make both know how to deal with this.
Why don't we?

Also, why would it take any significant time to read the bundle_id &
version? Wait -- because we used a format for that must be parsed
instead of splitting the fields into separate files?

Michael