#7788 BLOC 8.2.0 (: Touchpad behavior deteriorates under joyride-2212, joyride-2230

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 09:11:09 EDT 2008

Zarro Boogs per Child wrote:
> #7788: Touchpad behavior deteriorates under joyride-2212, joyride-2230
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>    Reporter:  tvoverbeek  |       Owner:  dilinger
>        Type:  defect      |      Status:  new
>   Component:  kernel      |     Version:  olpc-3
>  Resolution:              |    Keywords:  8.2.0:? blocks?:8.2.0
> Next_action:  diagnose    |    Verified:  0
>   Blockedby:              |    Blocking:
> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>
> Comment(by dilinger):
>
>  Thanks for the logs!
>
>  The lack of recalibration messages in 708 does not mean that the cursor
>  isn't messed up.  When you boot and use 708, is the mouse cursor jumpy at
>  all?

No, under 708 I get no noticeable cursor jumps.
>  There is a lot of strangeness in your 2298 logs.  The fact that 3/5 times,
>  the driver detects miscalibration at around the same time (160s after
>  boot) makes me wonder what's happening there.  What point in the boot
>  sequence are you at when it happens?  Is sugar completely up?  Are you
>  launching any activities, or doing anything else other than moving the
>  cursor around?

When booting I wait till the home view is complete (circle view with
activities) without touching the
touchpad. Then I start a terminal session and start Memorize. Memorize
requires a lot of mouse
movement. Play a while in Memorize until the cursor starts jumping. Then
switch to Bounce and play a while.
At 160 sec I am in Memorize.
>  The eth0/msh0 messages makes me think that NetworkManager has just come
>  up, so the hardware was miscalibrated right from the start.  I wonder if
>  the large amount of EC commands happening during boot are screwing
>  something up.. I'm also wondering wtf the PCI EHCI messages are about.

The EHCI messages only started to show up with the most recent kernels.
I cannot give you a specific
date/version. Sorry.
Also I am in a quite noisy WiFi environment at home. There are more than
15 WiFi networks in the
neighborhood view. My home accesspoint has WPA-PSK. Sometimes the XO
prompts me for the
accesspoint password. I cancel the dialog and then go to the
neighborhood view, select my network,
click Connect again and it associates without prompting for the password
again. Might have nothing to
do with this.
>  Do you keep your finger on the touchpad during bootup?  Also, when you see
>  the miscalibration errors in the logs (and you remove your fingers from
>  the touchpad for a few seconds), does the touchpad driver fix itself, or
>  is the cursor still jumpy afterwards?

As written above, no finger on the touchpad during boot. After
recalibration it fixes itself for a short while,
but then starts jumping again (as you can see in the logs).

Saw Richard Smiths message about the new firmware with faster/better EC
handling.
My XO firmware is on Q2E12. Could the interaction
between recent firmwares (Q2E12) and 2.6.25 kernel scheduling have
something to do with this?
Should I try again when Q2E13 shows up in joyride?