8.2.0 Status

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 10:51:41 EDT 2008

Hi All,

The following is my personal opinion and does not necessarily represent
the consensus of the developers working for 1CC.

Nonetheless, I want to keep everyone in the loop and minimize surprises.

The final sprint to the finish of 8.2.0 is on!

We need to close all design discussions and get any final checks done
ASAP. Any designs that are not agreed and ready for code this week will
not make the release.

There is pressure from management and others to ship 8.2.0. The main
driver is the need for a final release in September (probably first
half) to use in manufacturing.

We (mostly Scott, Chris, Michael, Kim and I) are negotiating when to
call Change Control (AKA first Release Candidate) and debating what that
means. Most likely it means there will be much more push back and
communication overhead before adding any new code.

We're also negotiating how many bugs marked "blocks:8.2.0" we plan to
fix before we release.

Also, Kim and I (sometimes with Michael and Jim) read 50 - 75 bugs a day
and either push them out or mark them blockers. We started at id 7500
and hope to catch the tip of the spear by Friday or before.

That's where we are. No final decisions yet, but my goal is to reach
agreement before Friday on a methodology to close this release.

The bottom line is that we may start Change Control any time. So get
your quality code in ASAP. If you can, tell us what bugs you are
working, when they will be resolved or how hard they are to fix.

If you think a bug is "must fix" put blocks?:8.2.0 in the keyword and we
will review it.

Questions and comments welcome. I'll update you regularly on any further
discussions we have in the office.

Thanks a lot for your involvement in the release and support of the project!

Thanks,

Greg S