Suspend vs Network Traffic - blockers

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Wed Aug 13 02:27:27 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Deepak Saxena <dsaxena at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Aug 12 2008, at 12:19, Javier Cardona was caught saying:
>> > So it doesn't look like Javier's patch actually went into one of our official
>> > branches (stable/testing/master). I'm also not sure we need it b/c testing
>> > and stable have the following commit that came in 6 days after Javier's patch
>> > on trac and it seems to deal with the same issue:
>> >
>> > commit c16eba59c2183f9d4952eca4d720982cfbe8e031
>> > Author: David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org>
>> > Date:   Mon May 19 18:47:52 2008 +0100
>> >
>> >    libertas: fix multicast handling on eth and msh interfaces
>>
>> You are correct.  The patch that I sent is unnecessary, as David
>> Woodhouse rewrote it in a much better way.
>> I tested his implementation and it passed all our test cases.  So you
>> can ignore my patch.
>> (In case anyone needs them, our tests for this are here:
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~javier/misc/olpc-mcast-stable-tests.tar.gz)
>
> Great!  Ricardo, when you get a chance, can you validate on latest
> joyride that everything is working OK?

I performed basic tests on the wake on multicast with joyride 2292.
In case someone wants to reproduce, this is a very user level test. It
goes like:

Wake on multicast test:
----------------------------------
- Set wake on multicast in one XO (XO-A) with: ethtool -s eth0 wol um
- Put XO-A in mesh-1
- Put the XO in the neighbor view, so it's easy for you to check the results.
- Wait for XO-A to sleep (power led blinking at every two seconds I guess)
- From another XO (XO-B), generate an event that should be displayed
in the neighbor view of the XO-A. For example, connect XO-B in mesh-1.
The XO-A should wake and the XO-B icon should appear on its neighbor
view
- Wait for XO-A to sleep again
- - From another node (XO-B), generate another event that should be
displayed in the neighbor view of the XO-A. For example, start and
share an activity. The XO-A should wake and the activity icon should
appear on its neighbor view

Repeat the same without setting the wake on multicast. Sharing
activities are not expected to work.
Repeat the cycle but now with both XOs connected to an access point.
--------------------------------------

When the tests were performed using the mesh interface, apart from a
cosmetic issue (*), it seemed to work as expected.

But the important result is that collaboration does not seem to be
working in infra mode. Irrespective of the filter status, no icon is
being presented in the mesh view of the other XO. Does anyone else
experienced this?

(*) Cosmetic: In one test, XO-B was turned off. it's icon disappear
from A's neighbor view, but not completely (the tip of the head was
still there)

Cheers!
Ricardo