Tux Type on the XO

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 23:15:59 EDT 2008

2008/8/12 Cynthia Solomon <cynthia at media.mit.edu>:
> Hi All,
> Please respond to David Bruce on the following issues.
> Thanks,
> --Cynthia
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "David Bruce" <davidstuartbruce at gmail.com>
> Date: August 11, 2008 11:35:43 AM EDT
> To: seth at laptop.org
> Cc: "Cynthia Solomon" <cynthia at media.mit.edu>
> Subject: Re: Tux Type on the XO
> Hello Cynthia and Seth,
>
> Over the weekend I installed all the needed tools and libs with yum, and
> successfully built and installed our current, unmodified release ofTtuxtype
> on the XO.  It runs just like on any other platform, except that it can't
> get a 640x480 fullscreen, so it runs in a 640x480 box centered in the
> normal-resolution screen.
>

> So - I'm ready to start modifying Tuxtype itself.  I have a few questions
> regarding what you would like to see:
>
> 1.  Are the lib requirements a problem?  Tuxtype uses SDL, SDL_mixer,
> SDL_image, SDL_ttf, and SDL_Pango (which depends on some other libs).  All
> of these were easily installed with yum, but they do take up some space.
> fwiw, they are a subset of the libs needed for Tuxpaint, so if Tuxpaint is
> being considered as a standard app, it will bring in everything Tuxtype
> needs (the same is true for Tuxmath, btw).
>
> 2.  Regarding Tuxtype itself, what needs to be improved to get it to meet
> the needs of OLPC?  My own sense is that there are two obvious issues to be
> addressed.
>
> First, Tuxtype needs to use fullscreen at the machine's normal resolution -
> the 640x480 box is just too small on the XO's small monitor.  This is
> something we have been meaning to address anyway, and we have done so
> already for Tuxmath, so the issues are known.
>
> Second, we need to use standard GNU gettext for i18n.  Currently, Tuxtype
> supports i18n via language-specific "themes" with its own home-brewed
> gettext.  It does not use the standard locales mechanism.  The player
> selects the language to use within the program.  This is also something that
> has been "on the agenda" for some time.
>
> Neither of these issues is exactly trivial, but they aren't prohibative,
> either.

Either way we need lessons for every keyboard we ship, and for Dvorak,
whether two-handed or one-handed (left or right). There are a lot of
amputees in Africa as a result of various civil wars. I'm learning
left-handed Dvorak so that I can type with one hand and mouse with the
other.

> 3.  Am I supposed to be "sugarizing" Tuxtype in some way?  For now, I just
> launch it from the command line (which also requires adding /usr/local/bin
> to $PATH, unless there is some other location where programs are supposed to
> be installed).

Presumably we should implement collaboration and two-person typing games.

> Regards,
>
> David Bruce

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Cosmos is my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.