git merge question -- conflicting whitespace

pgf at laptop.org pgf at laptop.org
Tue Aug 12 11:28:57 EDT 2008

i'm trying to do a git-merge that's complicated by my having
changed all of the line endings in my working copy from CRNL to
simple NL.  further changes have since been made on the remote
branch that i cloned, and when i attempt a git-merge, the entire
file is in conflict, due to the difference in line-endings.

i'm surprised that (unlike git-diff, and to a lesser extent,
git-apply) git-merge has no provision for glossing over
whitespace differences.

i _think_ i can finesse (!) this by switching my files back to
CRNL endings, doing the merge, and then converting back.  (i
haven't yet experimented with this.)

any other suggestions?  (we're talking about roughly 20 files,
which are affected by about the same number of commits.)

(i also considered post-processing the patches that represent the
remote changes, and applying them with git-apply.  but then i lose
any history associated with those remote changes, which i'd rather
not do.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org