Java Support

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 12 08:59:45 EDT 2008

Greg,

> Do we support Java in our browser?
>
> I may have a large opportunity in the Americas dependent on our ability
> to support their application which I believe requires Java.
>
> I did read this page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Java
>
> Is there any news or latest thinking since then?

The Java plugin is does not work in Browse in update.1 builds.

The Java plugin does work if you have 'real' Firefox separately installed.

The Java plugin does work in Joyride.

Java as an application runs in Update.1 and Joyride.

The fact that the plugin doesn't work in Update.1 is covered in Trac #6465.

Given the facts that it seems that it would require some changes in the
compilation environment to get the Java plugin to work with Update.1's
Browse, that the issue is resolved in Joyride, and that an open source
Java is now available but just for Fedora 9, I don't suspect that there
will be effort expended in getting the plugin issue resolved for Update.1

Can you wait for 8.2, which will reflect Joyride? Do you need the plugin
or Java itself?

If you have a real need and opportunity, maybe you can push someone
harder on this.

Bob