A simple signed bundle/directory trust scheme for the XS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:51:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
>  * What use cases are you trying to support?

Insert a usb stick with content that is OK'd by the regional NOC
(network operations centre) for execution/installation on the XS.

>   * What threats obstruct supporting those use cases?

Content could be modified on the way to insert evil sharks with
frikking lasers into the XS.

>   * What trust structure are you trying to create and how does it
>   mitigate the threats while permitting the use cases?

As I've written, we trust keys put in place at install time. Install
time is privileged, root user is privileged.

>   * What algorithms are you going to use and why?

Whatever GPG uses for signatures, SHA1 for file integrity because I'd
be an idiot to try and be smarter than crypto researchers.

>  * What security
> properties are you trying to check?

Signed by the NOC, not changed.

> (Perhaps you've already answered some of these basic questions elsewhere
> and you simply left out the citation?)

I could cite ISBN: 978-0-7645-1679-5 :-)

I'll look at JAR signing and olpc-contents. Thanks for the pointers...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions