First impressions of joyride-2280

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 11:09:09 EDT 2008

I used olpc-update yesterday to put joyride-2280 on my XO-1 running
Update.1 (build 708).

Here are a few observations after some playing with joyride-2280:
- Bounce loads now, but does not have sound. Might be an issue
  with the reintroduced pygame.mixer and SDL mixer.
- TamTam sound seems to work OK for me. No hic-ups or noise.
- Measure aborts on start-up. Known issue: Numerics vs numpy.
  Replacing the offending import statements with the equivalent
  numpy ones makes it load, but I get flat lines (no pick-up
  from microphone).
- System seems to suspend/resume nicely now. You see the screen
  go dimmer after a short period of inactivity. It wakes up again
  (almost with no delay) when a key is pressed, or even when a
  character is sent to the XO from an external ssh session, which
  means the network connections seem to be maintained.
- After suspending with the power button however (screen goes off)
  and resuming with the power button, eth0 is down and does not
  come up automatically. Manually bringing it up with ifconfig and
  assigning it the same ip4 address as before allows to continue
  the external ssh session.
- The polling of the EC every 30 seconds has disappeared.  At least
  it does not show up in the dmesg output.
- More important, the touchpad seems to behave much better. May be
  related to the reduced polling of the EC.

I'll investigate a bit more, before filing tickets.
All in all from my perspective it seems you made a lot of progress
during the last week. Keep it up !!!

Ton van Overbeek