suspend kills wired ethernet

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Aug 7 13:00:18 EDT 2008

> > [I use ethernet, and 'suspend' currently kills it - so
> > I have to reboot to again have an ethernet connection.]
>
> Could you file a bug?  I don't understand why you have to reboot to
> regain your ethernet connection after suspending.

I did back in January (#5990).  Guess it's time to add log output
from a current build to that ticket.

Actually, I'm mystified by what I am seeing.  First, I put my
ethernet adapter on a powered hub, so that 'suspend' dropping USB
poser from the XO would not de-activate the adapter.  [In the #5990
timeframe, the ethernet adapter was always taking so long to get
back up to speed (after USB power was again supplied) as to give the
XO time to switch to "mesh" addressing from "network" addressing.]

Usually, Network Manager (or something) does still get rid of the
ethernet interface.  But I believe I've seen once (that suspend was
*very* brief) where everything seemed to have been restored as
before the suspend, yet pinging another node on the ethernet
returned "Network unreachable" (that time, 'netstat -rn' showed
routing as being restored correctly - yet it did not work !!).

mikus

p.s.   The reason I have to reboot is that Network Manager does not
give me a __device__ on which I could manually start the ethernet
connection.  [That's #5854.]  If I start the ethernet connection on
one of *its* devices, Network Manager quickly steps in and wipes out
whatever my manual commands had done.  Restarting Sugar (without
rebooting the XO) does NOT get me back to an ethernet connection.