Thanks for the Joyride test results

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 08:37:39 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the great response to the request for test results on 2230.

Its super heartening to have so many smart people on the team; ready,
willing and able to test these images!

As Michael said recently, we're going to nominate another for mass
testing as soon as it gets through smoke test.

Michael and I are doing regular triage meetings with the component teams
(e.g. sugar a few weeks ago, collabora this week, power, and others
next). We've also started a daily bug triage meeting in the office with
Kim, Jim, Michael and me.

The goal of both is to name show stoppers and focus on those first.
However, the current rate of triage will not get us through the full
backlog in time. Michael also reads the bugs as they come in but he
doesn't touch every one.

If you think a bug should be considered a release stopper, please put
"blocks:?8.2.0" in the keyword field.

I will read those every weekday. I either:
- leave them alone if the fix is already going in
- or ask questions to get more detail
- or set to blocks:8.2.0 to signify its a release blocker
- or set to blocks:-8.2.0 to say its not a release blocker

The conventions are documented at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Trac_conventions

The query I will use to watch for blocks:?8.2.0 is
http://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&keywords=~blocks%3F%3A8.2

Many things aren't release blockers but should be worked on and should
be fixed. Use the priority field to help find those and don't be shy
about setting it to "blocker". Hopefully everyone will fix as many of
those as possible.

We are hard pressed to keep up with incoming data, but we're working
overtime to try. Every data point makes for a better release so please
keep it coming, in Trac (preferred) or on list. Feel free to ping me or
the list for status if you're waiting on something.

This is my first open source project. According to Eric S. Raymond its
the power of parallelized testing by engineers that beats closed source
and the Mythical Man Month. I'm thrilled to see it in action!

Thanks,

Greg S