suspend on 'idle'

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Aug 7 00:01:22 EDT 2008

First of all. I want to mention that when I first install a Joyride
build, the initial state of the 'inhibit' flags (i.e., filenames) in
/etc and /etc/ohm is "not present" -- that allows the XO to
'suspend'.  Yet on the 'Power' sub-panel within the olpc 'Control
Panel', the 'Automatic power management' box is __NOT__ checked.  I
thought that box would control 'suspend' -- and leaving it unchecked
would mean "I don't want my XO to suspend".   Seems like an
incompatibility somewhere.

More to the point, I perform a number of actions as part of
"installing" a new build.  Lately, if I forget to first set
'inhibit-idle-suspend', the XO is __suspending__ on me while
performing downloads (via yum) of modules to augment what the build
contained.  [I use ethernet, and 'suspend' currently kills it - so I
have to reboot to again have an ethernet connection.]  I *really*
would like 'idle' to mean "processor is idle" -- not just "keyboard
is idle" (of course my keyboard is idle -- I'm waiting for the
still-ongoing downloads to finish before I type the next command).

mikus