New joyride build 2258

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Aug 6 12:06:56 EDT 2008

On 6 Aug 2008, at 14:47, Eben Eliason wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Build Announcer v2
> <reinier at heeres.eu> wrote:
>> --- Changes for sugar 0.81.8-2.20080806git0fc57309f3.olpc3 from
>> 0.81.8-1.fc9 ---
>> + 7495 open cp software-updater on first boot after an update
>
> I don't want this!  I keep shouting about it and no one seems to be
> listening!  Home absolutely needs to be home base, especially after an
> update.  I'm fine with tossing up a non-modal alert at boot which
> prompts the user to update right away, with a button which reveals the
> software update control panel module, but I'm NOT OK with anything
> which, unbeknownst to the user, flits them away to some other part of
> the system without his/her consent.

+1

Just installed 2258 here, my first impression was that home page had
hung/locked-up, noticed no Journal, tried to click an activity to
launch something and then was dragged away into the control panel auto
update. One of those non-modal alerts (horizontal black strip that
pops out from below the toolbar) would be more friendly. The XOs been
downloading updates for 10+min now. BTW: I do really like the standard
updater (progress bar still needs some tweaking so it keep a grey
outline and isn't all white fill), just would be nice to alow the user
to trigger it***

***I also felt the the behaviour where software update starts as soon
as you click on the control panel icon was a little off. Would be more
user friendly to display the updater interface with a button to
clearly initiate the update process. Currently, if a kid goes poking
about the control panel UI (a good thing), they are going to be
triggering unintended update attempts for sure – on all kinds of slow
network topologies...

--G