[Server-devel] Ugly JABBER problem

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 05:02:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to use the same XO OS image for all my deployment schools,
> w/ no configuration change specific to an individual school.
> Unfortunately, there is one setting on the XO that has to be unique, the
> jabber setting.

I don't understand the problem, perhaps I am missing something. The XO
image won't have the user setup anyway, so it will ask the user for
his/her name on first use, and then pick up the jabber server at
"Register" time. This is needed also because the XS needs to be told
about the user (idmgr keeps a DB of registered users).

> I have tried to use "schoolserver" as the Jabber ID but no joy. Need the
> fully qualified domain name

A naked "schoolserver" lookup is used to perform registration, and
during registration idmgr tells the XO the FQDN of the jabber server.
This is how the XO-XS interaction goes from "I don't know my school
server but if I call 'schoolserver' it will answer' to "I know its
full name".

> Our schoolservers will have unique fqdn's

Not only fqdns - but also will be on their own subdomain. Please don't
change the domain naming scheme we ship the XS with! Yes do give each
school a different domain when you call domain_config - but don't
change how we have BIND setup.

Uruguay did things differently and now they'll need to implement some
complex workarounds - split horizon dns setups, etc. Wad thought this
out pretty well from the start, so let's use the good planning we
have.

If you are wanting to do something that you suspect the current scheme
does not allow or help, bounce it off the mailing list :-)

> so that we can eventually
> interconnect the Jabber servers for common chatrooms and sharing b/w
> schools.
>
> For Example:
> schoolserver.vishwamitra.schoolnet.gov.np
>
> schoolserver.bashuki.schoolnet.gov.np
>

> Any one have an idea how to get around this?

That is _exactly_ how it works. Nothing to get around :-) - that I know of!

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions