[sugar] Question about clipboard service

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 03:44:23 EDT 2008

Hi Eben,

Interesting spec! Thanks for writing it up. If you want to deliver this
in 9.1.0, can you put a link to it on the 9.1.0 page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0

wherever you think it fits, possibly here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#File_Management

A few comments and questions:
1 - Not to be pedantic, but can you explain why we need a clipboard? I
want to define what problem it solves for the user.

2 - I can't tell the difference between clipping and object. Can you
give more examples and spell out any specific differences in functionality?

3 - Can you link to documentation on the relevant APIs and .py scripts
or any other information an activity would need to use this?

4 - Can you move something from the journal to the clipboard?

5 - Is drag and drop definitely supported or not?

6 - Should there be an option to copy and paste from a menu in
activities or only via control-c/v and drag & drop.

7 - Is cut supported? How do you remove things from the clipboard? How
many items can it hold?

8 - Are there any performance implications (e.g. when greater than 3
items on clipboard XO runs low on RAM)?

9 - Can you include some workflow/use case examples? Here are two to get
you warmed up:
a - User creates a document in write, then wants to upload it (or part
of it) to a web site. What are the exact steps and how does the
clipboard help?
b - User takes a picture, then uses paint to modify it then puts it in
write to add text. What are the exact steps and how does the clipboard
help?

10 - Are there any collaboration related uses for this? How does it work
with collaboration, if at all?

11 - Does it do any conversion of formats? What happens if I try to put
one type of file in an activity that doesn't understand it?

12 - Can you include more detail on the software design? e.g. How many
lines of code, what code included where, how many hours work, where does
the code fit in the overall architecture, what dependencies does it have
and what other areas is it likely to affect? Is it fully backward
compatible with existing activities or would activities need to be
re-written, even if they don't want to use the new functinality?

13 - How does it fit with the journal? That is, when would a user pick
things off the journal and when would they use the clipboard?

14 - Can you copy things directly to a USB drive?

I hope that's not too many questions. You don't need to address every
one, just wanted to throw out some suggestions to get to the next level
of detail.

I appreciate the specifying in advance and I think you are on the right
track.

Since the journal abstracted the file system, its not easy to move files
between activities. I think we need an overall strategy for file sharing
between activities, HW elements (NAND, USB, SD card), computers (XO -
XO, XO - PC), schools (XO <-> XS <-> XS) and beyond. Clipboard may be a
key part of it.

Thanks,

Greg S