[sugar] How do I connect to a Jabber server ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Aug 4 18:40:38 EDT 2008

My _wish_ is simple:  I want a chance to contact (for Chat, or for
collaboration) another XO at a different location.  Basically, for
me to initiate that, that other XO's icon needs to be shown in my
Neighborhood view.

Currently, only icons from the LOCAL mesh to which I am connected
will show up in my Neighborhood view.  My question in this topic is:
"What do I need to do to have icons from REMOTE locations show up ?"

--------
> Sorry for the delay in landing #6995 - there are a number of
> improvements I keep trying out, delaying the patch.

I'm using the latest build versions - as of this morning, the mesh
icons are gone from Neighborhood view, but *none* are as yet
appearing in Frame.  (I see the correct local XO icons in
Neighborhood, so the mesh must be working.)

What I am particularly interested in was Eben's statement that the
user could turn the mesh on/off with the icon in the Frame.  I'm
getting much too much 'salut' - I'm hoping that "turning off the
mesh" (*all* of its channels) would give more emphasis to 'gabble'.

--------
>> Suddenly the communications link
>> between the school and the internet fails.  If the kid happens to be
>> within range of an alternate AP, does he have to do something
>> manually (such as entering the name of a non-school Jabber server)
>> to re-establish Jabber contact to the outside world ?

> But I think you're mixing up "connected to
> a Jabber server / server-cloud" and "connected to an AP".

I don't think I am.  When I go to someplace that has wireless, and
check my XO, I'm seeing that it connects fine to websites (meaning
that the AP must be working), but whenever I then do 'ps -A' I see
'salut' (meaning that 'gabble' must be giving up).

Currently there is only a *single* field for specifying the <Jabber
server> name (and I've tried many names) - so I expect that when the
currently specified one is not working, the user has to manually
enter the name of a different <Jabber server>.

What my question dealt with was "how is use of the 'school server'
as the <Jabber server> specified?"   [I have not seen an answer.]

  -  If the kid has to manually enter an internet-resolvable name for
     the 'school server', then obviously while the 'school server' is
     down, the kid has to enter a different name to continue to use
     Jabber.

  -  But if the use of the 'school server' as __also__ the <Jabber
     server> is *automatic* whenever the XO connects to the 'school
     server', then my question is "When the <Jabber server> at the
     school fails, HOW does the XO know to start instead using the
     specified "Jabber server name" for Jabber-type connections?"

[What lay behind my question was the suspicion that while the XO had
a working mesh, and was vigorously trying to reach a 'school server'
(using that server's mesh-resolvable name), it was giving "short
shrift" to any 'gabble' attempts to reach (through the AP) the
<Jabber server> whose name had been specified in the Control Panel.]

mikus