Proposal: Activity developers mailing list

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 09:01:15 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 15:23, Morgan Collett <morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've raised the idea a couple of times to have a mailing list
>> specifically for activity developers, which would be uncluttered by
>> all the traffic on the devel and even sugar lists. That would
>> hopefully have the result that people stay subscribed, or at least
>> notice mails which are important to them.
>>
>> Currently, I'm not even sure which list out of devel and sugar is
>> going to reach more activity developers, hence this cross-post and
>> many others.

I've been looking at the OLPC wiki, to see what we are advising
contributors to sign up for:

* http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers_program#Project_Hosting points
to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Project_hosting which says subscribe to
devel@ when asking for project hosting.

* http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers_program#Expectations_of_Recipients
points to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers/Communication#Minimum_Communication_Requirements
which says subscribe to community-news@ and devel at .

So IMO the sugar list is more relevant, but the devel list is more
likely to reach everyone. Cross-posting to every list all the time
seems counter to netiquette, and as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting says, "if all messages were
crossposted to every group, then every group would look exactly the
same."

What I want out of this discussion is a clear recommendation for
activity authors to subscribe to a particular place that we can count
on, to the extent that that is possible.

Regards
Morgan