sticking ctrl and alt keys cont...

Chris Marshall jns-cmarshall at comcast.net
Sat Aug 2 09:32:28 EDT 2008

A quick note on my experiences with joyride-2228 on my sister's
G1G1 XO.  She was running 703 before I convinced her to
update to joyride for the new user interface.  She really likes
that but she now has the problem of sticking control key.

Given that the problem only started on the OS + firmware change,
it may be that the origin of the problem for her and me.

I thought my XO had sticky keys, ctrl and alt, but then it did not
happen for a long time.  Then it happened again and I thought,
"Oh yeah, my keys are sticking after all".

Only later did it occur to me that the no stick period was during
a specific OS+firmware install (perhaps os703).  Coincidentally,
os703 is the version my sister was using before her joyride update.

I'm going to try to revert the XO back to os703 to check.  Of
course the keys aren't sticking at the moment.  One thing that
makes the problem difficult to debug and report is that the modifier
keys typically have weird effect that make things look like other
problems:  e.g. if ctrl is stuck, hitting a u wipes out text, hitting the
q or ESC can cause the Activity to quit,...

It is nice to see that repair centers are popping up so a keyboard
may be replacable at some point.  That isn't so good if the problem
is not in the keyboard mechanism but in the EC, timings tolerances
somewhere...

--Chris