sugar start-up profiling

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Fri Aug 1 10:29:25 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 10:19:50AM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> Another potentially interesting solution is a pseudo-spring algorithm, by
> which we detect some numbers of neighbors (O(n)) and then we "push" those
> neighbors away with some force vector, the magnitude of which is weighted
> based on the size of the nodes, and the direction of which is calculated as
> the angle between them.  This solution doesn't, in theory, yield results
> that are as good as the other options (since it pushes away at a fixed
> angle, instead of towards nearby positions with ow weights), but it should
> be really quick.
>
> I'm sure there are other options, or combinations of these, that we could
> explore as well.

Could we be positioning icons on the basis of prior usage patterns?  By
this I mean that icons are spring'ed toward the XO icon with a force
vector related to their recent usage patterns.  Additionally, activities
which are started at similar times could be spring'ed together.  I'm
envisioning a learning layout algorithm to distinguish the most-used
activites.  This layout necessitates the collection of usage data which
could also be shared with our developers.

Erik