identifying which builds are signed

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Aug 1 00:49:31 EDT 2008

>> I have a general question.  I'm going to be helping some Ship.2 G1G1
>> users (without developer keys) to perform off-line-upgrades of their
>> systems.  Currently I have to "data mine" through the wiki to verify
>> which builds are "signed" (and can be "applied" from an USB stick).
>
> Things in
>
> http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/
> http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/
>
> can be installed on locked machines.
>
> When we sign candidates or make candidates official, we send
> announcements and publish the signed build in the appropriate directory.

Thank you for the information.

I'm concluding from your answer that there is _no_ way to tell, by
examining the 'binary' of the build (e.g., os___.ucb), whether that
build is "signed" or not.

My interpretation of the wiki is that the 'fs.zip' file from the
"signed" build is needed only when one is doing a "clean install"
which wipes out the ENTIRE NAND.  If one wants to preserve
/home/olpc on a secured machine, one can instead use 'olpc-update'
to upgrade to the new build -- and the description of 'olpc-update'
says NOTHING about any 'fs.zip' file needing to be input.

Thanks,  mikus