Journal Suggestions

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Tue Apr 29 18:46:13 EDT 2008

Eben,

Considering the complexity of having one Journal which could be spread
across two devices, one of which could be removed, I think I would favor
having two separate but equal Journals.  The second Journal would, I
think, be functionally equivalent to the first, but would have more
available storeage.  This would mean that you could install Activities
on it.  (By default the Browse activity would still download them to the
main Journal, but you could move them to the second Journal.  You might
add a "Move" menu option in addition to the present Copy).

The use case I'm thinking of is maybe the teacher has an XO with the
extra journal and the students don't.  Or maybe the older students get
an SD card, after they are already familiar with the use of Sugar with
one Journal.  The teachers and older students would benefit the most
from the extra space.

For the thumb drives we might treat them as visitors from another realm,
and recognize that they might well contain subdirectories.  Same thing
for CDs and DVDs.

James Simmons