Activation problems

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Apr 28 14:50:41 EDT 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 2:37 PM, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org>
> wrote:
>>> You can try to search the SN of the laptops you're trying to
>>> activate in
>> the lease.sig file to see if they're there...
>>>

>>  The activation leases in the lease.sig file seem fine.   And I'm
>> using
>>  a collector key to get the serial number/UUID, so I don't expect
>> that
>>  it is a modified UUID causing the problem.
>
> The collector key also puts the laptop's idea of the current time in
> the laptops.dat file; you might check that it doesn't think it's
> living in 2037.

It shows that both laptops think it is roughly today (4/28 or 4/29
2008).

> Switching to VT1 will also tell you if python is
> throwing any errors or exceptions that might be relevant.

It boots for a while, then prints
*******************
Activating
*******************
mount: Mounting xxxxx on /mnt/xxx failed: No such device or address
   (a number of times for the expected values of xxxx)
FATAL: module ipv6 not found

> Trying to generate a dev key (as Richard suggested) may also help
> diagnose the
> issue (bad UUID, bad key, etc).

I'll try this next.

> Finally, there were firmware changes
> made at one point which affect OFW's ability to read nand:/security.
> It's not entirely clear from your description, but if the machine
> boots successfully with the activation key in, but won't boot w/o the
> activation key, it could be firmware-related.

If I boot with the activation inserted, it always powers off in 10 sec.
How do I "boot with activation key inserted" ?