Synchronizing xs-0.3 and xo-??? --- backups

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Mon Apr 28 12:58:28 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:33:13AM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> Well, I guess I need to know a bit more about the technical details
> that will be in play in this circumstance.  Since we don't have unique
> usernames or passwords, the only identifier for the individual and her
> data is her key, right?  How does one obtain her key if, for instance,
>  her previous machine was bricked or stolen?  And even if she has it,
> must we really require her to type it in?  I suspect we may,
> unfortunately.

Laptops are uniquely identified by their serial-number/uuid pairs. The
ssh keys are incidental. Ivan's proposal (correctly, in my opinion)
calls for backups to be associated with laptops on the XS with an

              SN <-> child

relation. I regard the problem of associating a new laptop with an
existing child as a problem that can be most conveniently solved with a
configuration tool or UI on the XS.

Michael