jumpy cursor problem and sugar issue

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Apr 27 11:34:30 EDT 2008

Bryan Berry wrote:

> 1. We are having a lot of trouble w/ jumpy cursors. You know where the
> touchpad behaves erratically. Is there an easy fix to this problem?
>
> we are using build 703, MP machines, and firmware Q2d14. We have the
> kids hold down the 4 corner buttons as recommended in the XO user guide
> but that doesn't seem to consistently fix the problem.
>
> Dust is an issue at the schools but that can't explain the high rate of
> jumpy cursors. Please assist

Can you explain in detail the behavior of the cursor when it's
acting erratically?

There are many independent touchpad problems that look alike.
Of these, the only one I could fix in software was this one:
  http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2804

The symptoms of #2804 are quite distinctive: the cursor jumps immediately
towards the bottom-right corner of the screen each time you put your
finger on the touchpad.

Dilinger and Smithbone have been working on the calibration issue,
but I don't know if they finally succeeded.

Dilinger also had a cleaned up version of the driver, combining
together several touchpad fixes, cleanups and re-enabling the pen
tablet too (#5268). That patch-set had been held until after Update.1
because it introduced yet another regression (#6079).

I don't know who has been working on it, if anybody.  Given our
current situation, I might soon find plenty of free time to work
on these things :-)

--
   \____/
  _|    |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/