Auto backlight management?

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri Apr 25 01:10:37 EDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Eben Eliason wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Bert misread the spec.  When the backlight is switched off, the screen
>>  automatically switches to B&W mode.   Why would you want to take
>>  that out of the control of the user ?
>
> I'm working on mockups for a "screen device" (in the Frame) which will
> include a brightness slider and an independent checkbox for color/b&w
> mode, so that these can be managed directly by the user at their
> discretion.  It's clear to me that it would be quite useful to have a
> bright backlight AND black & white mode for reading a book at night,
> for instance, and this isn't possible in the current UI.

I used to think the same thing, but I learned it's not possible in the
current hardware.

this is the one drawback to the fantasic screen, any light from the
backlight that gets through is colored by the screen. it can be made to
appear white by allowing all three colors through, but it's still colored.

this means that you can't get high resolution mode with the backlight on.

David Lang