Auto backlight management?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 00:05:12 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche at redhat.com> wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> writes:
>
>  > [...]  The XO does not have an ambient light sensor. The backlight
>  > is not turned off automatically in sunlight. [...]
>
>  Opportunistic use of the on-board camera and the time-of-day clock
>  could yield such heuristics.

Yes indeed.  I brought this up when we were in the keyboard design
phase, but it was determined, quite fairly, to be too much effort for
the overall gain, given the other components of the system and state
of the software (both then, and now, for that matter).  It seems that
in the future this is a wise place to spend a little extra time, since
it could actually have some high energy saving benefits if done well.
Naturally, we could provide a way to turn the mode off in the control
panel for that that don't want that kind of micromanagement.

- Eben