A technical assessment of porting "Sugar" to Windows.

victor Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie
Thu Apr 24 16:48:55 EDT 2008

> For sound support, the situation is similar.  I believe that a larger
> number of basic APIs are used to access sound playback features than
> are used to access the camera and microphone, making compatibility
> more difficult.  At minimum, we would need to use the windows port of
> CSound; it is not clear to me how much work on CSoundXO would be
> necessary.

While I have no affections for Windows, I must say that at least
that end of things should not be a problem. Csound is completely
multiplatform, runs on Linux, Windows, OSX (and even Solaris).
So whatever OS is used, we can be there. But I would very much
prefer Linux (then OSX and Windows is a very far third place).
Speaking of this, didn't Steve Jobs offer OSX for free to OLPC
at the beginning, but it was not taken because of the lack of FOSS
credentials (even though Darwin is FOSS, is it not?). It seems
funny that now OLPC considers going Windows...

I sincerely hope this does not come to pass...

Victor