Sugar on Windows

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 24 06:37:55 EDT 2008

On 24.04.2008, at 07:24, NoiseEHC wrote:

> Michael Stone wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:37:08PM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
>>
>>> I do know that to launch an effort to port to Windows will require
>>> resources above and beyond what are currently available.
>>>

>> True, but there are many skilled Windows developers around (including
>> F/OSS developers) who might assist with the work.
>>

> Depending how you define "Sugar", I think it can be as small an effort
> as 1 man.
> Since the majority of the code is written in Python, clearly I do not
> see too much work with it.

I don't want to waste too much time discussing Sugar on Windows. But
stating this is a 1-man effort is ridiculous -  unless you are
speaking of emulating a whole Linux installation.

Python, and Sugar, rely on a huge hunk of libraries many of which are
unix-specific. Even if you proposed to run on  say cygwin this would
still be a major effort. Proper porting to Windows without using
wrapper libraries (which would reduce performance) would require an
army of programmers, and most certainly the result would not be source-
compatible with the Linux version.

I'd be happy to see Windows programmers tackle this, it would benefit
the kids that are deprived of using a Linux solution for whatever
reason. But it should in no way diminish the efforts on the Linux
side. Which is, IIUC, OLPC's official position, too.

- Bert -