Ad-hoc Networking

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Wed Apr 23 20:00:11 EDT 2008

(...)

> This isn't what I was talking about.  Forget about the mesh.  Ban it
> from your mind.
> (...) the troublesome Mesh and just live with the 802.11b/g,

"Ban  (...) the troublesome Mesh" you say. Sigh.
There is not a single piece of software or hardware in any innovative
project that wasn't or isn't "troublesome" at some point.
What to we do? We just throw away every important aspect of the project so
life is easier? I don't think so.
Let's drop suspend/resume, sugar and whatever is "troublesome"? Doubt it.
Think about for a second. Why in the world a whole community of researchers
worldwide have been investing a decade in mesh network development? Do you
really consider the 802.11 ad-hoc mode an alternative? Because the IEEE
itself does not.
If you think about it you will end up adding relaying capabilities back.
And I will repeat this one more time. The mesh works. Have you tried it?