[Fwd: Re: Walter leaving and shift to XP.]

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:55:26 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I would suggest that you don't really understand the reason for
>  supporting open source. No software running on top of XP, for example,
>  will free of the pressures form MS to do what they want you to do. And
>  what they want you to do may have nothing to do with the desires of
>  teachers and students across the world.

There is another reason.

We *are* delivering computers to people unused to them. They are bound
to be considered magic gadgets -- so we *will* spawn a significant
cargo-cult around them. There are two options:

 - ensure that the users can figure out that they are free to tinker
with the whole stack
 - give them a corporate-branded black box

How many billions would MS give to a foundation that acts as a facade
for a MS-branded cultural colonization?

It's not wonder that the makers of "The gods must be crazy" put a Coca
Cola bottle in the middle of it. Are the rations handed out by UN
branded with Golden Arches?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions