Walter leaving and shift to XP.

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Wed Apr 23 17:24:32 EDT 2008

> Considering the complete sentence, it is clear to me that this is a
> case of the reporter being confused by technology. We all know that
> Sugar could never run on Windows as well it as can run on Linux. The
> laptop might run Windows or Linux or both, but not Sugar on Windows.

Do "we all know" that, really?

Why couldn't Sugar activities run as well on Windows as they might on
Linux?  Windows is a pretty full OS.  Windows has networking,
processes, file systems, Python, GNU compilers, etc.  I worked on the
GNU compilers, and was rather surprised when one guy (DJ Delorie) put
in a large amount of work to make them run on DOS and Windows.  (He was
later hired by Cygnus and his port became Cygwin.)

Is there any *technical* reason why, with significant effort, somebody
couldn't port Sugar to run on MS-Windows?

	John

PS: I'm no fan of Microsoft, or Windows.  For the OLPC or for any
other purpose.