Turkish keyboard layout

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:33:33 EDT 2008

2008/4/21 Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org>:
> Thanks Walter,
> Does this mean you have approved Uzbec, Pashto, French Canadian, and Kazakh?

We don't have localization projects for Uzbek or Kazakh. Should we start them?

Looking at the table, I also see Armenian, for which there is no
localization. Should we start it?

Also, the table specifies a Russian Cyrillic keyboard for Ukrainian,
which is a serious error.

"Note that many langauge/region variants can share a common keyboard,
e.g., Russian (ru_RU) and Ukrainian (uk_UA) both use the Cyrillic
keyboard, but will need different SKUs to accommodate the different
language settings on the laptop."

Not so. Ukrainian requires the letters

Ї U+0407
ї U+0457
Ґ U+0490
ґ U+0491

which don't occur in Russian. See the ua keyboard file.

> I am aware of the need for final approval of Italian, Khmer, and Nepali.
> Quanta is sending these keyboards to OLPC this week.
>
> In the past when Quanta sends a first article for approval, do we need to
> match that up against the design from the wiki page? Or do you recommend
> some other step(s) for final approval?

How about consulting with national standards bodies and Unicode? I can
put you in touch with people who know way more about these issues than
anybody here.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/