Walter leaving and shift to XP.

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Wed Apr 23 13:00:44 EDT 2008

Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> Second, regarding Microsoft, I agree that if it is to be an open
> platform, it should be open to everyone, including Microsoft. That
> said, it is somewhat revisionist to suggest that the SD card was added
> on behalf of Microsoft

Such statements certainly are based on reporting like this:

	Speaking with Wired News editor Kevin Poulsen over e-mail,
	Negroponte said that an SD card slot was added to the OLPC
	machine so it could meet Windows' minimum performance
	requirements.

	"The XO always ran Windows... that is why we added the SD slot,"
	he said.

	http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/04/negroponte_olpc_1.html

Or this:

	"Microsoft has always been working on Windows for the XO. We put
	the SD (secure digital) slot into our laptop over one year ago,
	for them," Negroponte said, explaining that the SD slot allows
	the XO's memory to be expanded, making it easier for users to
	run Windows.

	http://www.news.com/Negroponte-Windows-key-to-OLPC-philosophy/2100-1016_3-6215837.html

Or this:

	Although the machine is preinstaled with Linux ut this doesn't
	mean that you can't run Windows on the machine, Negroponte
	said. " We put in an SD slot just for Bill," he quipped.

	http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2006/12/kicking_off_the.html
	(typos in original)

Now the statement that the SD slot was added for Microsoft may be
incorrect, but, given all the words that went around last year, it's
probably not "revisionist" either.

jon