[Community-news] [sugar] where is Walter?

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 07:06:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

Illinois, as I said somewhere in this thread, wants to put laptops
> into 300 schools to start.

Just a quick question, probably off-topic, but is Illinois interested in
giving kids *XO's* or *laptops*?

Because if Illinois is thinking "laptop computers" then neither the State of
Illinois nor the OLPC educational initiative will benefit from a discussion
about XO's.

If you're looking for a laptop solution, then you really do need to be
talking to the Dell, Apple and Microsoft crowd. OLPC can't help you there.

And if you're looking to get XO's into the hands of Illinois kids, it seems
to me your first task is to convince the Illinois Department of Education
that a *laptop* solution is less appropriate than an *education* solution.

Either way, referring to the XO as a laptop is a lose-lose situation.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com