[sugar] [Community-news] where is Walter?

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Wed Apr 23 01:31:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:20:22PM -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> >  Suppose you were to do that. What would you actually change? I mean, I
> >  don't see an imminent threat to Sugar and the constructivist Activity
> >  ideal besides the recent AP article and rampant rumors.
>
> If Negroponte were to drop Linux and Open Firmware, then all of that
> would fall to the forked project. If Microsoft wanted to push
> proprietary educational software, then the Activities would be forked
> as well. Presumably a lot of OLPC volunteers would walk. I'm
> suggesting a place for them to walk to. I expect that Red Hat and
> Ubuntu would support the fork, and I would have good hopes for Google.

Oh yah, I would follow the fork as well.

All I'm saying is that NOTHING OF THE KIND HAS HAPPENED YET!

If, yes, if the rumors are very much publically and overtly confirmed by
everybody at OLPC ... THEN it would be an appropriate time to initiate a
fork.

So far, it's all speculation and rumors emanating the insalubrious
stench of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD).

Just to be on the safe side, you are welcome to make thorough backups of
the current code base whenever you feel a justified or unjustified
twinge of nervousness.

Can we end this thread now?