[Community-news] [sugar] where is Walter?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 01:29:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  What's this hostility about? Does it accomplish something?
>
>  Not everyone knows everything about your project - though it's
>  interesting to hear.

Not my project! Illinois's! They asked me to make contact on their behalf.

>  Regardless of project size, getting hold of key people at a large
>  project is usually not a winning strategy -- try going through the
>  regular channels.

There are regular channels? Why hasn't anybody told me of this before?

> People like NN tend to be swamped

How does one invite him to State Senate Hearings? Darah or who? Does
he have an appointments secretary?

When I asked Walter Bender about such things before he left, he said
he was out of the loop. Kim Quirk told me that Illinois isn't in the
OLPC mission. There is no CEO, after a search of more than a year. So
who's in charge here?

> - again, try
>  countries at laptop.org

Done. Thanks.

>  >  Illinois wants to spend $50 million in a pilot project to put laptops
>  >  into 300 schools, a project bigger than all of Give One Get One, and I
>  >  can't the time of day from management. The official line is that
>  >  Illinois doesn't count. Only getting XOs to poor kids in developing
>  >  countries counts.
>
>  We are working quite amicably with NYC DoE, so I think it's just a
>  matter of taking things slowly and talking with Darah first :-)

Which we is that? OLPC? OLPC New York? I'll get OLPC Chicago to talk
to OLPC NY in any case.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/