Synchronizing xs-0.3 and xo-??? --- backups

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:09:19 EDT 2008

2008/4/23 Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com>:
> 2008/4/22 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Ivan Krstić
>  >  <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
>  >  >  My solution is the simplest design I could create that allows both
>  >  > emergency restore (laptop FS has been trashed, get everything back) and
>  >  > individual file restore and sharing via a web interface running on the XS,
>  >
>  >  Indeed, reading bug 4200 the purpose of the protocol becomes clearer.
>  >  What I don't understand completely is the drive behind retrieving the
>  >  files via a web interface. I'd think that the main requirement is that
>  >  the Journal can talk to it in a simple enough fashion -- perhaps it
>  >  was a shortcut to avoid complex work on the Journal?
>
>  I do believe that was the case at the time.  I think that the user
>  experience will be much better if we provide support for entry
>  recovery directly within the Journal interface.

To complete the picture in my mind of how well/bad rsync will interact
with this workload, I am trying to read up a bit on the current
datastore implementation, but I haven't found any high-level overview
of its internal organization.

Is there one?

I am not after the API, but after a rough explanation of how things
are laid out on-disk. Even if the DS will change, it's important that
things work reasonably well with the current DS.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions