Walter leaving and shift to XP.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:25:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I always forget that when I reply the message does not go to the list.
>  On the support-gang list there is quite a bit of discouragement over
>  Walter leaving because Negroponte has decided to go the XP route with
>  the XO. And he is in talks with MS$ to get a version of XP to run on the
>  XO.

I know about XP on the XO. Microsoft was working on it all last year.
What's this about Negroponte shifting to XP? I know that there is a
rumor about, but where I have seen it, it has just been a
misinterpretation of the usual news. Negroponte is quoted,

* OLPC chairman says laptop project could not promote openness if it
was closed to Microsoft.
* "Microsoft has always been working on Windows for the XO. We put the
SD (secure digital) slot into our laptop over one year ago, for them."

Who says Negroponte is shifting? Certainly not Walter in any of his
public posts.

>  How may developers want to shift to developing for an XP based, rather
>  than a sugar based , platform?

Can't happen. We would all be out of here like a shot to fork Sugar.
Nicholas is weird, but not utterly stupid.

>  --

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/