[Olpc-open] Making Plans

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Tue Apr 22 12:31:16 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org> wrote:
> > OLPC's focus is on development, funding and delivery of laptops to the
> least
> > developed countries. The expectations for features, testing, support,
> > logistics, delivery, IT and RF infrastructure (to name a few things) are
> > widely different between schools in Rwanda and those in NYC (for
> example).
> > We just don't have the man-power today to meet these expectations
> > world-wide.
>
> So we at OLPC Chicago are on our own, then?

If you are planning your own local school initiatives, then yes, you should
plan for full support and organization of them -- including site assessment,
testing, logistics, delivery, and IT and RF infrastructure.  Of course there
are other groups dealing with precisely the same issues, so you won't be
entirely on your own.  The grassroots list was formed with the idea of
sharing experiences with some of these issues.

SJ