Internet wide chat

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Apr 22 07:13:10 EDT 2008

Guillaume Desmottes wrote:

> Right. As said we need a good free encoder as H263 has legal issues.
>
> So, if we want to have full audio/video support on XO's we have to:
> a) Solve this legal codec issue and make farsight work with the chosen
> free codec

The "download codecs yourself" (aka "piracy at home") is an
effective workaround widely used by Linux distributors these
days.  Consumers do not care where they get the codec from,
as long as it works.  And nobody ever goes after individuals.

Besides, it's not even a legal issue everywhere.

> b) Implement audio/video in Salut
> c) Have a proper video chat activity integrated in sugar (#1627, #6301)
> d) Profit :)

Is this plan in the works?

While VOIP is something hardly useful for education, it would be
an important selling point if our laptops could be seen also as
affordable replacements for other communication devices.

--
   \___/
   |___|    Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/