where is Walter?

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 21 22:01:34 EDT 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 9:34 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> The general climate is much less friendly to criticism, and I see the
> recent USENIX paper debate as a prime example. That paper has been
> criticised and ridiculed on various grounds instead of addressing the
> issues it brought up.

The paper in question was sloppy and unclear, but I'm still planning
to address it in detail.

> We claim to have stellar security based on the
> official Bitfrost spec, yet lots of that spec are unimplemented.

I've internally urged the company to adopt drastically more
transparency about the state of the project than it has, to little
avail. Bitfrost is an idea which went through several states of
implementation and was set back due to politics, lack of manpower and
other pressures, and at least once dramatically. For reasons too
distasteful to recount, I personally haven't worked on OLPC security
for about my last 8-10 months with the company, which didn't exactly
do wonders for keeping me happy.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org