RPMs for speech-dispatcher missing python code?

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 14:22:16 EDT 2008

Hi,

> Yesterday I finally got around to installing your ROMs on my XO.  I was
> able got configure speech-dispatcher and get spd-say to work correctly, but
> when I tried to run my test python program it bailed out on the import
> speechd statement, saying speechd could not be found.

Can I know which version of the RPM you are trying to use?

Can you try :
http://www.nsitonline.in/hemant/stuff/speechd-rpm/speech-dispatcher-0.6.6-5.fc7.src.rpm

This is actually a src RPM package and you'll have to build the RPM for your
machine using it. (I am unable to upload the RPM package at the moment)

This resource will help you :
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-to-install-src.rpm-package-on-red-hat-linux-38928/

This leads to two issues for me.  First, of course, is how to get the python
> code installed on the XO.  Equally important, though, is how to write my
> Activity so it can work as a text reader without speech on a laptop that
> does not have speechd installed.  If I'm going to bail out just for having
> "import speechd" in my app that may not be possible.  Or can I do a
> conditional import, something like:
>
> if speechd file exists:
>   import speechd
>
> If you have any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Maybe you'd like to look at this link  :
http://www.diveintopython.org/file_handling/index.html#d0e14344

It discusses how to handle the ImportError exception raised when a python
module that you're trying to import is not available.

so you might have a block of code as follows:

try:
 import speechd

except ImportError:
 print "working without speech here"