Document sharing issues

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon Apr 21 11:24:47 EDT 2008

Morgan,

I did some work on View Slides over the weekend and I got the document
sharing code to work OK.  There are still some bugs, but they are not
related to sharing, at least not directly.  However, in fixing the code
I discovered the following issues:

1).  Unlike the core Read activity, my activities save shared files as
Journal entries.  If the child wants to resume reading when the document
is no longer being shared he can get the document from the Journal with
no problem.  Unfortunately, if the document *is* still being shared it
will be downloaded again, whether it needs to be or not.  Ideally, if
the kid already has the document and it is the same size as the one
being shared the download would not happen.  How do I accomplish this?

2).  Downloading a document is very slow.  I distribute View Slides
files on an Apache server, using the Browse activity to copy same to the
Journal.  This takes under a minute even for a large file (over 15mb).
Then I share the document with another instance of Sugar on the same
box.  *That* is agonizingly slow.  I know the two instances are not
communicating directly, but it still seems like there is a lot of
overhead going on.  Can I do anything about this?

3). Because downloading documents is so slow,  I have modified my Read
toolbar to have a running count of bytes downloaded so the user doesn't
have to stare at an unchanging screen for several minutes wondering if
anything is going on.  In the core Read code I modified to do this there
is a comment that it would be good to signal the file size of the file
being sent, so the user could see a progress bar.  The author never got
around to doing that, so I don't know how to do that either.  How would
I go about it?

If you're curious about my code the latest is in the git repository and
I have a page for View Slides linked from the OLPC Activities page.

Thanks,

James Simmons