Adding mpeg playback

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Apr 18 09:41:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 09:23 -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> Read this:
> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9887955-7.html
>
> Europe is no longer free of software patents; in fact, it's actually
> _worse_ than the US.  In the US, it's a matter of litigation, and your
> stuff can be taken away after trial.  In Europe, it appears that the
> police will happily show up at your trade show and confiscate your booth
> without warning.

Uh.  Somehow, I had not connected this event with the EU
parliament thing.

I'm cc'ing Benjamin Henrion, of the FFII.  I had dinner with
him last week in Brussels and we discussed the European
software patent situation for a while.

Benjamin, what do you think?  Where exactly would mpeg video
codecs be legal within Europe?

I think this topic is of interest to OLPC, but if other people
of devel@ think otherwise, we can take this potentially hot
thread off list.

--
  \___/