Adding mpeg playback

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Apr 18 06:11:53 EDT 2008

Hello Andriani,

our partners in Turkey are asking if the laptop can do
mpeg playback.

I said there are no technical reasons why it couldn't, but
there are restrictive patent laws in the United States that
do not let us ship mpeg software on the laptop.  We bundle
Ogg Theora as a replacement.

They asked me if there would be problems for Turkey and I
thaid that while I did not know their IP law, I hear it's
not a problem in many European countries.

Do you know better?

And for the devel people: what should I do exactly to add mpeg
support?  Is installing gstreamer-ffmpeg from Livna enough?

And how can we deploy such customizations in the future?  Maybe we
could add package installation support to the customization
key?  Or have as many build variants as required?

--
  \___/
  |___|  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/